Lions, tigers and bears!... and hippos, dinosaurs, turtles... Please tell me we are not the only household that has collected an army of animal figures? My kids love them and while I may wince when I accidentally step on one (ouch!), they really are a great educational and fun toy to have around - plus, they don't take up much space!
I thought I would share some of our favorite games to play using animal figures - here we go!
- Bring them to the zoo! Nothing is more fun for a little one than to be holding an elephant figure while looking at one. Compare their body parts (the trunk and husks on the elephant) and discuss how they might feel if you were to pet the animal (would an elephant be soft? rough? wet? slimy?).
- Speaking of the zoo... always take an extra map home with you! We use it to point and discuss the animals we saw and which were our favorites. Have your toddler place their animal figures atop the zoo animals on the map!
- Match the animals with books. This is a personal favorite of ours - children's books and animals are two peas in a pod.
- Make the animal out of play dough!
- Animal sounds! You go "moooo" and they hunt for the cow. Take turns - toddlers mimicking animal sounds is the best... my son is a master penguin imitator haha!
- Sorting. Sort them by where they live - land or water - or sort them by what they eat - fish, grass, ect. For the younger toddler, sort them by color.
How do you keep your little ones entertained with animal figures?
Wife and mother of two boys, Joanne recently moved from suburbia Maine to Manhattan - quite the change of pace and trade of lifestyle! Navigating her way in New York City has provided lots of laughter, tears and confusion for the whole family, but Joanne takes it all in stride and aims to keep the family chaos to a minimum. She loves to spend her days at the park, savors every date night, enjoys time in the kitchen and out shopping, and possibly spends too much time on Pinterest...